The Jarman Award
Film London and Channel 4 in association with the Whitechapel Gallery is delighted to announce the ten-strong shortlist of UK-based contemporary artists for the seventh edition of the annual Film London Jarman Award are:
Following in the footsteps of previous winners Luke Fowler (2008), Lindsay Seers (2009), Emily Wardill (2010), Anya Kirschner & David Panos (2011), James Richards (2012) and John Smith (2013) the Film London Jarman Award winner will be announced at a special event on 8 December at the Whitechapel Gallery, receiving combined prize money of £10,000 and a film commission for Channel 4's short-form arts strand, Random Acts.
Three further artists will also be selected for Random Acts commissions, worth £4000 each. This is the only Award of its kind where an artist is rewarded with both financial assistance to enable them to flourish and the opportunity to produce a new piece of work.
Nominated by experts across the UK contemporary film and arts sectors, the shortlist presents the work of 10 artists who use moving image in a range of diverse and uncompromising ways. It offers a comprehensive survey of the work and practice of UK based moving image artists, and celebrates the rich and eclectic array of work emerging in recent years.
Touring the UK
Film London will also present a UK-wide Jarman Award touring programme through September to December 2014, showcasing works by the 10 shortlisted artists. Events will take place at venues nationwide, including:
- FACT, Liverpool — Tuesday 23 September
- Watershed, Bristol — Tuesday 30 September
- Towner, Eastbourne — 11 October - 2 November
- Chapter, Cardiff — 8 October
- CCA, Glasgow — Thursday 16 October
- Nottingham Contemporary — Thursday 20 November
- Cornerhouse, Manchester — Tuesday 28 October
- Turner Contemporary — Saturday and Sunday 22-23 November
- CIRCA Projects, The Northern Charter, Newcastle — 27 November
- Whitechapel Gallery — Sat 6 & Sun 7 December.