The FLAMIN Fellowship
*Applications are now closed for The FLAMIN Fellowship*
Film London, Arts Council England and The Fenton Arts Trust present The FLAMIN Fellowship, a major scheme for early-career artist filmmakers living in England. Part of Film London Artists’ Moving Image Network (FLAMIN), the Fellowship aims to support the most exciting, innovative and challenging moving image practices from filmmakers at the early stages of their careers, with development and funding for new work.
The FLAMIN Fellowship offers a unique opportunity in developing professional artistic practice with a series of monthly workshops, which cover key areas including selling artwork, film festival strategy, writing funding applications, archiving your work, setting up a company and sustaining a practice.
Previous workshop speakers have included artists Heather Phillipson, Marianna Simnett and Noor Afshan Mirza, as well as representatives from Tate, LUX, BFI, Arts Council England and the Wellcome Trust.
Each year, FLAMIN Fellowship will support six artists at the early stages of their career, each with projects that they would like to develop.
What the programme offers each artist:
- A programme of workshops covering key areas around sustaining artistic practice, addressing the particular context of the moving image as a medium.
- Mentoring sessions with an experienced production advisor, Pinky Ghundale. More information about Pinky can be found below.
- Seed production finance of £2,500 for a specific project.
- Introduction to different production models.
- Promotion through representation in a touring screening programme, online profile and work-in-progress screenings presented to curators and potential future supporters.
- The benefits of being embedded in a peer group.
Week beginning 13 May, week beginning 20 May 2019
Tuesday 11 June 2019
Selected Artists Initial Meeting with FLAMIN and Production Advisor
Tuesday 25 June, Wednesday 26 June 2019
Tuesday 23 July, Wednesday 24 July 2019
Tuesday 20 August, Wednesday 21 August 2019
Tuesday 17 September, Wednesday 18 September 2019
Tuesday 15 October, Wednesday 16 October 2019
Tuesday 12 November, Wednesday 13 November 2019
December 2019 / January 2020 (date TBC)
The six artist-filmmakers selected for the inaugural FLAMIN Fellowship were:
The group is representative of the new generation of artist filmmakers, challenging traditional forms and presentation platforms for moving image, exploiting technological developments and bringing new experiences to audiences. Between them, their work has explored everything from history and movement to science and psychoanalysis.
Image: Onyeka Igwe, Specialised Technique (2018), video still. Supported through The FLAMIN Fellowship